Oh, sure, there are lotsa recipes at J&BB for people who know how to cook. But what about the people who don't know how to cook? When will they get to cook something the Belle way? Now's you're time to shine, people. Marvel, at the wholesome food that is...The One-Eyed Egyptian Sandwich. My grandmother taught me to make this. The grandmother who couldn't cook worth a damn. Oddly enough, she's the only person in the family ever to have written a cookbook, but that's another story.
One-Eyed Egyptian Sandwich:
1 slice bread (whole-wheat is better)
1 1/2 T butter
salt and pepper
1. Tear a circular hole in the middle of the bread, about twice as big as a quarter. Eat it.
2. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. When it stops bubbling, put in the bread and fry it on one side for about 30 seconds.
3. Flip the bread over, fried side up. Now, crack the egg over the bread so the yolk falls in the hole. Fry for 30 or so seconds more.
4. Flip the bread over carefully. Fry till done as desired.
5. Put salt and pepper on it.
And, voilà! A taste of old Egypt, or something. Actualy, my great-great grandmother did live in Egypt for a while, and went to the King Tut dig, and also shacked up with some low-rent Egyptian prince. So maybe she made it up.